Friday, May 15, 2009

I am a writer...

I am a writer because sometimes I weep when I speak and you think that I am weak /

I am a writer because often my voice is not heard, not because I don’t have anything to say but because you haven’t given me the space to be heard /

I am a writer because when I speak, my mind goes blank and I forget what I had organized in my head to say /

I am a writer because I hate the sound of my voice when it is recorded /

I am a writer because at least I’m not looking at you when you shut me down and decide to check out /

I am a writer because I have to, how else will our future know where we have come from if it isn’t documented? /

I am a writer because these pain needs to be documented and it should be remembered /
I am a writer because I’m not invited to all of your meetings and how else do you expect my opinions to be heard? /

I am a writer because I do observe and I will report /

I am a writer because I think, feel, and do and you cannot tell me what to do /

I am a writer because I breathe and then remember that the pen is mightier than the sword, and if more people used one, the world would be a better place /

I am a writer because I can’t and won’t compromise for your feelings, I write what I think and I will not run my thoughts my your first /

I am a writer for her, she has all these amazing thoughts and experiences, and doesn’t speak them because she feels that her daughter is superior to her because of her college education /

I am a writer for her who is always so caring and loving like her name means, but is always misunderstood and judged /

I am a writer for them, the two young soldiers who inquisitively watch what is going on in their world, I see them and I want them to know that I care /

I am a writer for him, my little habibi, who will grow up in the world that will judge him for being a man of color, and a community which will resent him for being mixed and having a different skin shade /

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?