Monday, April 27, 2009

Racism...in the elevator



Haha. This made me laugh! But, seriously. This is so true. I sent this to an old friend from high school and we had a good laugh, but when I ran into him on campus on our way to class, we had a quick reflection about how true this is before we parted ways.

My friend, who is a young Black male, told me that he gets this feeling all the time when he is in an elevator with a White woman, and I thought that was so surprising, especially in a college setting - a man with a backpack on a university campus - probably a college student and has more to lose by robbing you of your belongings.

Also, just in deconstructing this stereotype of Black men who commit violence and take what is not theirs. Does this happen to White men who get in an elevator with a woman of any color? Probably not as often, I would think. This also brings to mind issues of sexual assault and feeling safe - it sucks that our world has become this way.

I am not innocent by any means. I continually struggle to remember that I have brothers who are men of color, and I hope that other women aren't afraid of them because they would never hurt a woman. At the same time, I sincerely hope that as I try to remember authentically as I can that these men are brothers, I hope that these brothers remember that I am a sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?